Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How old would you be ...

... if you didn't know how old you were?

It's odd. When I was younger, I was more worried about 'acting my age.' Now that I'm <ahem> older, I don't worry much about it. I think, as I've gotten older, I've realized that we are responsible for our lives -- what we do and don't do with them. If I worry about what others think, that often hampers me from doing what I want.

Have you ever done that? Have you considered an action only to back away lest people think you're odd, or flighty or brusque or ...

We can't always disregard what others think, of course. A little bit of empathy goes a long way -- please, THINK, before you crank up that stereo or talk on your cell phone or drive like an idiot. But other times...

Has anything ever held you back? Why? Why is the opinion of others important to you? Are you mentally comparing your life to theirs? What do they have that you don't have? Maybe more importantly -- WHY do they have it? Did they make decisions based on what others thought? Or did they do what they felt was right for them?

Consider it...

No comments: