Tuesday, August 31, 2010

If you think there is good in everybody...

...you haven't met everybody. 


Some people are just a waste of skin. Let's face it. This goes along with the "it only takes a few muscles to slap someone" idea. But this one goes a bit farther.

Be honest. There are people whom you think should be dead. For whatever reason: you read about them in the news, or they did something horrific (a murderer, a rapist, a pedophile), or they cheated a bunch of people or...

There's a lot of them out there, aren't there? I've often wondered if society has always been so laden with evil or if it's escalating, somehow. Or is it just the media? Do we hear more about these things nowadays?

How do people like that fit into a 'Zen' life? I've always felt that they served as contrast. It's the old "there but for the grace of God" idea. If you consider it, your birth truly was a random event. You were born in a certain country at a certain time of civilization and you had access to certain opportunities. Whether or not you could or would take advantage of those opportunities is irrelevant for this discussion (not irrelevant for your life, of course). The fact that the opportunity was THERE is totally out of your hands.

I often thank Whoever that I was born in the United States and not Bosnia or a Muslim country or somewhere that women are repressed. I don't know what I would have done if I were born into that kind of life. Perhaps I would have accepted it. But worse -- what if I didn't want to accept it? What if I rebelled? What if ...

Think about it. It may sound hokey, but count your blessings. It could be soooooo much worse. And you know, if you think you don't have any blessings--think again. Trust me. You do.

No comments: